Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 23, 2016

On Ice

We've had a very mild winter until mid-January when an artic blast finally hit and created a small ice shelf at Lake Michigan.  After a few brutal days of sub-zero temps, my painting buddy Lynn and I were finally able to venture out.  It was still so cold that morning that my good camera froze in my backpack....good thing I had my cell phone to capture this image. (Jan. 13, 2016)
First "lakescape" painting of 2016.
Happy winter painter, that's me!
 
The next day (Jan.14) we hiked back to the lake, along the shores of Schlitz Audubon Nature Center and found most of the ice had disappeared overnight.  But there is always something of interest like these cool mini ice caves with sand, rocks, ice formations that look like frozen fangs.  We also noticed a big freighter out on the lake, probably not too common for the middle of Jan in the Upper Midwest.


After exploring, finally got down to business and did a quick painting.  Sky colors changing so rapidly, but was able to capture the beautiful peach/lavender effect of early morning light.
Lakescape, Jan. 14, 2016
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment