Total Pageviews

Friday, January 31, 2020

The Search for Color in January

This January has been quite gray here in Wisconsin.  So I've found it important to find areas where I can introduce a touch of warmth into the gray palette before my easel.  One of my favorite spots to paint locally is in Richfield. 
This beautiful historic mill is a bold red and perfect for these overcast days.
While painting this, a sweet smiley face kept staring at me...see it?
Sometimes we stop at the local pub to warm up and have a little Brandy Old Fashioned and Cheese Balls appetizer.  Hey, it's what Wisconsin winter plein air painters do.  By the way Bilda's Friess Lake Pub serves an awesome BOF.
Yummy at Bildas.
Another gray day painting underway.  Met a wonderful farm couple who shared their history on this beautiful farm near Fredonia.  
Finishing up.  And low and behold, there was a corner bar just down the road, so we stopped in for a BOF.  Then decided to paint one more small study in their backyard.  

Can you tell we also try to have fun while painting???

My search for color led me to a local farm to paint the sheep.  Their warm fur against the cool snow was a fun challenge.  This will certainly become a larger studio painting.  My models left for a while, but then re assumed their pose in perfect position for a few hours.  What fun it was to observe them!
Hints of warmth with the manure spreader and sheep and hay.  
It was a wonderful January.  

No comments:

Post a Comment