Total Pageviews

Monday, January 14, 2013

About Face

While I consider myself mainly a landscape artist, I have always enjoyed drawing and painting portraits.  I did my first real portrait drawing back in high school.  Then, in college I discovered there is more than just ONE pencil and ONE eraser!!!  I was introduced to a whole range of pencils (10 different leads) that created so many neat effects.  The kneaded eraser was also a new concept for me that enhanced so many drawings. 
During my college years I was asked by a friend to create a portrait of his dear grandfather.  I remembered the family was thrilled at the result (pencil portrait above, 1982) because this gentleman was a devout Catholic who attended Mass daily and the nuns all LOVED the portrait.  That made me smile.
Now on to painting portraits with oils.  That's a whole different ballgame for me and a huge challenge.  I have been blessed to be part of a portrait painting group for about ten years now that is full of learning and fellowship.  Often, I have many "scrapers" but this one posted above was a keeper for me.  I felt the model was in a very reflective state of mind and I am hopeful I captured her emotion. 

1 comment: